Emergency information

For electrical emergencies or loss of power?

Call ESB Networks on 1800 372 999 (24 hours)

If you smell gas or suspect a leak:

Call Gas Networks Ireland on 1800 20 50 50 (24 hours)

Don't assume somebody else has reported the smell

  • Evacuate everyone from the building and open doors and windows
  • Turn the gas supply and gas appliances off at the mains
  • Don’t smoke or use any naked flames
  • Don’t turn electrical switches off or on

Carbon Monoxide – The Silent Killer

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a deadly gas that can’t be seen, smelled or tasted but can kill quickly with little warning. Signs of CO poisoning:

  • Initial symptoms are similar to the flu (but without the fever) but more severe symptoms include confusion, vomiting, loss of muscular coordination and loss of consciousness.

Signs of a CO problem:

  • Staining, sooting or discolouring around an appliance
  • Condensation on windows
  • A strange smell when an appliance is on (remember: carbon monoxide itself has no smell, but other fumes produced by burning may smell)
  • Symptoms occurring when a particular gas appliance is on which improves when you’re away from the property

If you suspect CO poisoning:

  • turn it off any gas appliance you’re using immediately, open windows and get fresh air and seek medical advice

How to prevent CO problems:

  • Have your gas appliances checked once a year by a Registered Gas Installer
  • Make sure your appliance vents are clear Install a carbon monoxide alarm

Find out more at: gasnetworks.ie/home/safety/carbon-monoxide or carbonmonoxide.ie